About the School
St. Cecilia's is a Roman Catholic Voluntary Aided Primary School in the Archdiocese of Southwark. The principal objective of the school is to establish, maintain and advance the Catholic religion. It was built to serve the local Catholic community, in particular, the children of practising Catholic families in the parishes of St. Cecilia's, St. Matthias and St. Christopher's.
It opened on 10 January 1938 as an Elementary School. Originally planned to be 'temporary', the building served as a local mass centre before the present Church was built. Over the last few years, four new classrooms together with a computer suite have been added and a nursery unit was opened in September 1993. The Governors, with the aid of the parents, raised sufficient funds to have an all-weather playing surface built in 2000, and in 2003 the new resource centre. This incorporates the library and the ICT suite, which was opened by the Rt Rev Howard Tripp VG Auxiliary Bishop of Southwark.
The school caters for children from three to eleven years of age. We have over 480 children on roll and fourteen classes, each of which is named after a Saint.
At St Cecilia's, Religious Education is given priority; it pervades the whole ethos of the life and work of the school. We offer a wide curriculum incorporating the requirements of the National Curriculum.
The Catholic community support the school because they value a distinctive Catholic Education for their children. A substantial amount of funding for the upkeep of the school is donated by regular churchgoers in these parishes through their regular weekly contributions at Mass.
Parents elect to apply for this school in order to ensure that the Catholic values and way of life are passed on to their children at home, in the parish and at school.