Phonics and spelling
We use the Read Write Inc (RWI) programme to get children off to a flying start with their literacy.
RWI is a method centred around letter sounds and phonics, we use it to aid children in their reading and writing.
It is really important that children can identify and use phonics clearly and easily. We all know that the English language is complicated as this introductory video to phonics explains.
Using RWI, the children learn to read effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into comprehending what they read. It also allows them to spell effortlessly so that they can focus on composing what they write.
We use the RWI programme through Early Years and into Key Stages 1&2. Staff have received special training to ensure the success of our teaching programme which takes place in whole class and small group settings.
The Read Write Inc website has some great tutorial videos to help you understand how Read Write Inc works and how you can support your child at home.
- Parent Tutorial
- Sound Pronunciation Guide
- A guide to storytime at home
- Lots more Parent Tutorials can be found by clicking here
Speed Sounds Charts for you to use at home
- Simple Speed Sounds Chart
- Complex Speed Sounds Chart
- Oxford Owl - This is an excellent website available that aims to help parents with reading at home. Children can find it difficult to remember the pure phonic sounds and have a tendency to add an ‘uhh’ sound at the end. This website explains how to pronounce each phonic sound and how to blend sounds for reading.
Year 1 Phonics Check
The phonics screening check will be taken individually by all children in Year 1 in England. It is designed to give teachers and parents information on how your child is progressing in phonics.
This video gives a good summary of what the screening check involves:
We will send home details of your child's attainment in phonics with the Year 1 Annual Report in the Summer term of Year 1. The screening check only takes place in Year 1.